The Stone House Inn
in 1925 - click on
the picture to see
a bigger version
|Open Pubs -
travelling down the Dale.
Arguably the least well known of the
major Yorkshire Dales running from the east
side of the Pennines, Nidderdale is still
very much a busy working dale. This intimate
valley stretches for over twenty miles from
its head at Great Whernside, above the
reservoirs of Scar House and Angram, down to
the edge of the popular spa town of
Any inns / pubs on this page which I
think are definitely worth a visit have
their photographs outlined in colour but
that is my own personal opinion of course.
Locally owned, somewhat idiosyncratically
operated but very genuine and intimate Dales
pub with spectacular views of the dale below
(one of North Yorkshire's highest pubs at just
under 1,000 feet above sea level) .
Opened as a hotel in 1818 and since Autumn
2002 run very ably by the popular Malcolm and
Caroline Whitaker, and their son John.
A very good display of local photographs in
the bar. Real fires, excellent bar meals and
en-suite Bed & Breakfast available.
Draught Black Sheep bitter & usually one
guest beer. Cask Marque approved
Tel. 01423 755204
- 'The Crown Hotel'
Free House. Welcoming and popular family run
small hotel / Inn owned by Clive Newcombe
since 1980. Offering rooms, traditional food
and inviting public bar.
Black Sheep and Daleside beer on draught. The
Crown was granted a seven day licence at
Pateley Court on 2nd February 1949 after 50
years with a six day licence. The landlord at
that time was Tom Bradley, who had been
landlord since 1907 but who was exempted from
paying rent during both world wars.
Tel. 01423 755206
Yorke Arms Hotel'
18th Century built Self styled 'restaurant
Nationally recognised privately owned Michelin
starred olde worlde country hotel and
restaurant owned and operated by Bill Atkins
and Michelin chef Frances Atkins. There used
to be a small public bar but I believe
non-diners, and particularly ramblers, are no
longer particularly welcome. An archetypal and
upmarket small english country hotel in every
sense with deep pockets essential !
Tel. 01423 755243
Intimate small country hotel and restaurant at
the bottom end of Gouthwaite reservoir and
with comfortable and welcoming public bar. Run
by the Carter family since 1978 and a more
affordable and accessible alternative to the
Theakstons and Black Sheep bitter.
Tel. 01423 711306
Bridge - 'The Bridge Inn'
Free House - Opened in April 2003 after the
licence was transferred from the adjacent
Watermill Inn to what was formerly the mill
Much smaller but light stone and wood interior
and a friendly un-pretentious atmosphere.
Stone patio garden. Has undergone several
changes in management in recent years but
remains reasonably busy, especially with
visitors and seasonal caravan residents.
Bar meals and Black Sheep beers.
Tel. 01423 711484
Bridge - 'The Crown Hotel'
Popular with tourists and locals alike, and
the only true pub left in the High Street.
Refurbished in 2007. Open all day seven days
per week. Bar meals available in small
restaurant. Darts and Pool as well.
Black Sheep Ale.
Tel. 01423 712455
Bridge - 'Pateley Club'
Members Social Club (visitors welcome).
Originally built in 1692 as the Brewery Pub of
Metcalfe's brewery (George & Dragon). By
1773 had become the George Inn and in the
early 20th Century (?) became the Conservative
Club until re-named around 1998, though I
think it is still officially called the
'Pateley Bridge Conservative and Unionist
Club'. Full size snooker table and darts
board. Tetley's bitter.
Tel. 01423 711219
Bridge - 'The Royal Oak Inn'
Ex. Mansfield Inns pub chain outlet - next to
Auction Mart. Darts and open fire. Small
terrace at front of pub.
Run by Robert Jackson since Aug 2003. Bar
meals served every day. A bit down at heel
maybe internally but normally friendly and
genuine enough with good service. Check out
the original 1920's tiling in the entrance
porch as anybody who knows the historic Golden
Ball pub in Cromwell Street, York, will
Tel. 01423 711577
- 'The Drovers Inn'
Free House. Locally and
affectionately known as 'The Little Drovers'.
technically in Nidderdale but an allowable
indulgence as the characterful Drovers Inn has
strong connections with the dale, lying about
five miles or so eastwards from Pateley Bridge
at the far end of Dallowgill Moor. An isolated
moor edge pub notable for its tiny 'living
room' 1960's feel bar. The pub is owned by
Dallowgill shooting estate and as such remains
unspoilt and un-commercialised. Closed
all day Mondays.
Built between 1856-1861 by Joseph Atkinson.
Friendly licensee in Steve Plews, with the pub
offering bar meals and two/three Real Ales
(normally inc. Hambleton Bitter plus one
Tel. 01765 658510
- 'The Half Moon Inn'
Free House - Fairly isolated pub on the main
Pateley Bridge - Ripon road. Food and Real Ale
(Black Sheep). Largely bare stone interior
with large separate function room.
Tel. 01423 711560
- 'The Birch Tree Inn'
Recently (Aug 10) bought as a Free House from
the Punch Pub Company. The photo features the
distinctive painted end wall name which
disappeared after Punch bought the pub in the
early 2000's. Something of a 'bistro' type
interior and emphasis.
Tel. 01423 711131
Laithe - 'The Olde Oake Inn'
Free House - The Olde Oak is a small mid-dale
pub which changed hands in mid-2008. Has a
loyal local following and seems to have
enjoyed a recent upturn in business. A clean
and well-maintained pub which offers bar
meals, Sky sports and pool. Only Real Ale at
last visit was Black Sheep.
Tel. 01423 780247
- 'The Flying Dutchman'
Samuel Smiths House with typical restrained
Sam Smith's interior. Tenants seem to change
on a very regular basis however and the pub
has little atmosphere, with the very cheap
beer prices being probably the only
attraction. The sign in the photo depicts the
famous race horse which won the St. Ledger and
Derby in 1849, though the pub was (reputedly)
originally named after the famous seventeenth
century dutch phantom ship of the same name
and just recently the sign has changed again
to reflect this.
Terraced beer garden to rear. Interestingly,
the gents toilets have retained their original
pre-war tiling and features.
Tel. 01423 780321
Free House. Locally owned and a pub since
being built in the early eighteenth century.
Cosy and authentic 'Olde Worlde' feel. Good
atmosphere and very popular with a wide range
of local people for eating and drinking.
Reputedly haunted as well.
Accommodation available. Sells a range of Real
Ales (normally inc. Rudgate). Small patio
area, attractive beer garden but down some
very steep steps, an outdoor boules pitch and
separate pool room as well.
Tel. 01423 780200
Enterprise Inns - On the main Pateley
Bridge - Otley road, The Wellington was
greatly extended in the late 1980's by
previous owner Robert Booth. Re-opened Dec
2008 having been closed for two months and is
well-frequented by locals and passers-by. Open
all day seven days per week.
Tiled floors, real fires and an extensive food
menu as well as guest Real Ales (Copper
Dragon's 'Golden Pippin' is on permanently).
Darts board and pool table. Comfortable snug
with traditional large solid fuel range which
is lit through the winter months as are the
Tel. 01423 780362
Yates - 'The New Inn'
Free House situated on the Pateley - Ripley
road. Changed hands privately again in 2006.
Opened as a pub in 1810. Restaurant orientated
and intimate comfortable interior liberally
decorated with antiques and curios.
Tetley's bitter and local Rudgate beers. The
sloping bar was reputedly made from an oak
tree which stood outside the pub.
Up to date (2007) photo provided by the
current owner Timothy King.
Tel. 01423 771070
- 'The Black Bull'
Ex Vaux Inns pub which has recently come under
new management as at Dec 2009 and has been
slightly re-furbished. Built in 1899 as a
coaching Inn. Homely and fairly dark interior
with attractive small restaurant. Was once
famed for the amount of brassware in the pub
but thre seems to be less of this now.
Original tiled and clean toilets. Only
drawback is bad get-out onto the very busy A59
Harrogate-Skipton road. New signage which was
badly needed has greatly improved the external
view. Click on the photo to see how the Black
Bull looks now. (summer 2011 update - signage
Draught Ales - was Black Sheep and Tetley's
but haven't been in for some time.
Tel. 01423 770233
Free House with an understated traditional
interior - The Queen's has been owned by Glen
& Louise Garbutt since 1994, and whilst
maintaining its long established reputation
for good food, now welcomes Real Ale lovers,
with Harrogate brewed Roosters beers appearing
regularly, as well as Theakstons & the
ubiquitous Black Sheep.
Tel. 01423 770263
- 'The Old Station Hotel'
Locally owned Free House which now offers
accommodation in the refurbished stable block.
The pub was called simply 'The Station' util
its re-opening last year, and was built in the
1850's and originally called 'The
Sebastapol' after the Crimean war siege
of the same name in 1854. Name changed to The
Station some time after the building of the
Nidd Valley railway line in the 1870's.
Attractive beer garden to rear.
Tel. 01423 770254
- 'The Joiners Arms'
Busy pub in this large and pleasant village at
the very foot of the Dale. This is though very
much an edge-of-Harrogate dormitory village
with very little social or 'emotional'
connection with the rest of Nidderdale.
Popular restaurant and separate tap bar.
Operated by the same family since 1984.
Tel. 01423 771673
The slightly melancholic
Washburn valley runs for about ten miles
from the West of Harrogate and Nidderdale,
down to the River Wharfe near Otley, packing
much of historical and natural interest
within this distance. It is now best known
for its four reservoirs, built between the
1870's and 1960's, and which supply the city
of Leeds with water: from top to bottom;
Thruscross, Fewston, Swinsty and Lindley
Wood which, together with the land around
them, also offer numerous recreational
activities for visitors. Several pubs lie
within the slopes of the valley, with the
famous Gate Inn having been closed well
before the building of Thruscross reservoir
and the abandonment of West End village.
||Thruscross - 'The Stone House Inn'
Free House - *re-opened
1 April 2011 but not currently serving food*
as from 1 April 2011 but is not currently
serving food and is only open from 5pm Mon-Sat
and from 11am Sundays.
Stone House was originally an 18th century
built farm until in 1868 Jesse Peel (whose
brother John ran the nearby Gate Inn near to
the reservoir) was granted a licence and ran
the pub for forty five years.
The pub is
spartan inside but has been cleaned,
re-decorated and some necessary minor
alterations made. It still retains its austere
moorland character, situated as it is 900 feet
above sea level. A wonderful place to be sat
outside (if it's warm enough that is) when the
curlews are calling and gliding in Spring and
summertime. Black Sheep Bitter
& Golden Sheep on draught.
Hopper Lane Hotel'
Enterprise Inns. *re-opened 27 May 2010* The
Hopper Lane re-opened following a £300,000
renovation and is geared mainly towards food
and accommodation but retains an accessible
public-bar. The photograph shows the Hopper
before it was re-furbished.
The Hopper Lane has had mixed fortunes over
the years and whether this renovation changes
things remains to be seen. It is situated on
the main and very busy A59 Harrogate-Skipton
road close to attractive Fewston reservoir.
However, the views from the front of the pub
of a dense wood and a closed garage cum car
scrapyard don't do the place any favours. If
it were just 1/4 of a mile further down the
road where the car park for this end of
Fewston reservoir now is, that would make a
big difference I'm sure, but it's not...
Tel. 01943 880191
One of the area's most well known pubs and
established as a pub for over 200 years. Draws
patrons from a wide area, particularly from
this side of urban West Yorkshire and situated
on the Otley-Blubberhouses road. A large stone
interior and long-known for live music, its
enormous 5th November Bonfires and more
recently its Peacocks ! Friendly towards the
motorcyle fraternity for whom it has long been
a meeting place on weekend Dales tours.
Theakston's bitter on draught.
Tel. 01943 880220
Free House: NOTE: *re-opened Sep 2009*The
legendary Timble Inn near to Fewston reservoir
closed in the summer of 2004 but has been
completely renovated and has recently (late
September 2009) re-opened as a small
pub/restaurant and offers en-suite
accommodation as well. The new interior is
a nice balance of contemporary and
rustic and it's good to see such a famous pub
open again after five years. Closed
note the thumbnail photo is an old one taken
before 2004. Click on it to see a larger photo
of how the pub looks now externally. There is
also a 1912 postmarked postcard here.
Real Ales: Theakstons Bitter, Copper Dragon
Tel. 01943 880530
with Clifton - 'The Spite Inn' (aka 'The
Enterprise Inns. The Spite Inn lies up the
hill just outside Otley on the road towards
Blubberhouses and Nidderdale, but is just
inside North Yorkshire and on the flanks of
the Washburn Valley.
A stone interiored pub dating from the
mid-nineteenth century which offers food. The
interior is fairly plain but clean and well
maintained. The modern name of 'The Spite Inn'
apparently originates from a long running feud
between this pub and a former next-door pub
(now long gone and called The Travellers
Rest). The first time I went in this pub (mid
1980's) it was owned by Websters brewery of
Real Ales at last Visit: Copper Dragon 'Golden
Pippin', Taylors 'Landlord' and Wells
There is a faded photo dating from 1910 here.
Tel. 01943 463063
not forgotten...some closed Pubs in the
Nidderdale and Washburn Valley area.
(in rough chronological order)
|Greenhow Hill -
'The Miners Arms'
Free House - as of August 2008 closed
(again) after being closed for nearly two
years up to April 2008, the Miners re-opened
in a much reduced form with only a small side
bar open to the public. Recent work on the
'pub' would seem to preclude any re-opening at
all and it would seem that 'The Miners' has
gone forever. As of December 2009 it was
reported that the building had been
re-possessed by the banks.
The Miners opened as a pub over 150 years ago
and is situated in a former lead mining
community high above Pateley Bridge. Like many
other remote pubs though it had mixed fortunes
over recent years. This was the third highest
Inn in North Yorkshire at 1250 feet above sea
level (after The Tan Hill Inn and The Lion at
Blakey, nr Rosedale).
- 'The Bay Horse Inn'
Free House - The Bay Horse closed at the end
of August 2002 following which it lay
semi-derelict for some time. Planning
permission was passed in April 2005 to convert
the Bay Horse for residential and community
(day nursery) use and several houses have
recently been built in the car park.
Bridge - 'The Watermill Inn'
Closed Feb 2003.
Former Free House and before that a former
flax mill (closed over thirty years ago) famed
for the 36ft diameter working water wheel
attached to the pub which is one of the
largest water wheels in England. The license
has been transferred to the new and adjacent
'Bridge Inn' which opened on 16 April 2003,
with the Mill itself being converted into
'The Nelson Inn'
Closed app. 1994.
Small cosy free house which served a hamlet
just out of the lower Dale.
Converted into housing.
'The Prospect Inn'
Closed app. 1996
Former free house situated in the main part of
the straggling village of Darley.
Converted into housing.
Bridge - 'The Talbot Hotel'
Built in late 18th Century as the Star Inn.
Closed as a pub in 1983. Last landlord Dennis
Johnson but still open as a licensed Hotel.
- 'The Dusty Miller'
Closed 1964, the last landlord being Alan
Until the mid 2000's was still open as a small
restaurant, but that has now closed.
Bridge - 'The Kings Arms'
- 'The Gate Inn'
Closed and demolished prior to the creation of
the adjacent Thruscross Reservoir. The
postcard shows the rear of the pub from the
road leading down from the Stone House
crossroads to West End village.
The Gate Inn was built in 1699 by either John
Hardisty or John Horsman, the initials 'JH'
being over the door. John Peel, brother of
Jesse Peel who was licensee of the Stone House
Inn for 54 years, was licensee of the Gate Inn
for 45 years in the mid-late 19th century,
with his daughter Sarah following on as
licensee. The pub was compulsorily purchased
(along with many other buildings thereabouts)
by Leeds Corporation in 1898, with the
intention of commencing construction of
Thruscross reservoir shortly after. Of course
it was to be almost sixty years before the
reservoir was actually built.
Only the rear foundation wall now remains.
From a tree adjacent to the pub a sign used to
hang: 'the gate hangs well and hinders none,
refresh yourself and pay, and travel on.'
Bridge - 'The Black Bull & The Bay
Closed in early 1950's (?) and demolished to
make way for High Street Car Park.
Bridge - 'The Cross Keys'
Built in the 18th Century as the Cricketers
Arms, then renamed 'The Shoulder of Mutton'.
Bought by Metcalfe's (brewers of Pateley).
Closed in 1957.
Photograph (with kind permission of Paul
Skirrow) shows the pub probably around the
turn of the century.
'The Frankland Arms'
Closed in 1903 and demolished in 1907, the
Frankland Arms (named after a local landowner,
Sir Robert Frankland) was built in the early
1800's to provide refreshment for travellers,
and horses, on the stagecoach routes linking
Harrogate to Skipton and Otley to Pateley
Bridge, which met at this point.
This postcard was kindly sent to me by Anthony
Hayes of Massachusetts, USA.
Birstwith- 'Meg Gate Inn'
Closed after the Second World War (circa
- 'The Kings Head'
In 1906, The King's Head transferred its
licence from the Ryder family, who had held it
continuously since 1760, to Middlesmoor House
and John Thomas Dolphin, who surrendered it,
also in 1906. (This information via Mr William
Glencorse of Kings Head House, Middlesmoor)